Saturday 29 March 2014

Earth Hour

Earth Hour is tonight! If you don't know what it is, here is good old Wikipedia to explain it to you! 'Earth Hour is a worldwide movement for the planet organized by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). Earth Hour engages a massive mainstream community on a broad range of environmental issues. It was famously started as a lights-off event in Sydney, Australia in 2007. Since then it has grown to engage more than 7000 cities and towns worldwide, and the one-hour event continues to remain the key driver of the now larger movement. The event is held worldwide and held towards the end of March annually, encouraging individuals, communities, households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights for one hour as a symbol for their commitment to the planet. Earth Hour 2013 was celebrated on March 23, 2013. Earth Hour 2014 is scheduled for Saturday, March 29, from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. during participants' local time.'

Personally, I had never heard of this, but this year it seem everyone is talking about it! I think it has it's pro's and cons, obviously the pro is pretty clear, it saves electricity, proves you do not need it on all the time, shows that people want to make a movement and makes other people aware of it. However I don't think people have really thought of the cons, so me and my mom's boyfriend were talking about it yesterday and he was saying all the electrical (storage thingy's? I cannot remember for the life of me what they are called) basically they will all go crazy due to the fact they are making so much energy but none of it will be used because most people will be using no electricity in that hour, so they will all go crazy then the electricity will go down. And also people need to remember that a lot of people can't take part in this. I am going to try my best but I am actually really really scared of the dark (I know I am 20, I really need to grow up) but people with young children or children who go to bed around 8.30/9pm can't do this with no lighting. My mom was saying 'we can just light candles, it will be cool' well I don't see this as an option due to the fact I have a cat, and I don't see it being very safe sitting in the dark with candles and not knowing where my cat is (I don't want my kitty on fire). I will be out babysitting my two nephews when this is happening, so as I said, I am going to try it but being in a house I don't know too well with two little ones may not happen as well as planned!

But enough about what I think, I want to know what you think! Either leave a comment or tweet me at @bexrenshaw and let me know your views on Earth Hour and if you are doing it or not!

Byeeeeeeee.

Come over and find me.

Twitter : @bexrenshaw
Instagram : oh_boo_x

No comments:

Post a Comment