Monday 24 February 2014

How to dress for your body shape

I started this blog off with looking online on different websites for different information so not to give you false information, but I hate how they've made fashion strict. So please read this but remember you don't have to stick to the rules?
So you read somewhere don't wear a pattern with big hips, if you want to wear a pattern, then wear it.
The first step to people loving you, is you loving yourself (as cheesey as that sounds).
So why dress how people tell you to? Why walk round not being comfy?
If you see something you like but think 'I read that my body shape shouldn't wear that', if you like it then buy it and flaunt it.
So please read on and check out my advice but don't take it too seriously, dress how you want to, not how people tell you to.


First you need to identify what body shape you have, the main four are Apple, Rectangular, Pear and Hour-Glass, however Trinny and Susanna claim there are actually 12 body shapes of women,
these are Apple, Brick, Goblet, Hour-Glass, Vase, Cello, Pear, Skittle, Bell, Column, Lollipop and Cornet.
It seems quite crazy that there could be this many different shapes of women.
I know every single person has a different body but surely they are all pretty similar? Apparently not.
So here is a quick run through of all the different body shapes to help you find yours.
Apple : Tummy is the largest part, you are a soft round shape.
Rectangular/Brick : Square shape with lack of curves.
Pear : More weight below the waist, larger hips, thighs and calves.
Hour-Glass : Larger chest and hips with a small defined waist.
Goblet : Broad shoulders with no defined waist.
Vase : 'Stretched hourglass' same curves but on a taller frame.
Cello : Similar to the Goblet but with a curvier waist.
Skittle : Similar to the Pear but with a smaller bottom and on a taller frame.
Bell : Small shoulders and waist with a larger bottom and thighs.
Column : Taller with smlim waist, long legs and equal shoulder/hip size.
Lollipop : Larger chest, slim waist and hips with long legs.
Cornet : Smaller chest, broad shoulders and long legs.

So now you have figured out what body shape you are, you need to figure out the best way to dress for your body.
Personally, I have a small chest and waist, medium hips and short legs so I'm not even sure which one I fit into! My hips aren't big enough to be pear but not small enough to be rectangular!

So instead of going through each body type I am going to do something slightly different.
I am going to do how to dress best for each main body. This is my personal opinion.

Small Chest : Patterns, ruffles, bright colours.
Large Chest : V necks and wrap around tops/dresses that show off you assets.
Large Belly : Loose flowing tops or dresses.
Defined Waist : Draw attention with belts and tight waist lines.
Non-defined Waist : Flowy dresses that don't attract attention to the waist.
Small Hips : Baggy 'larger at the hip' trousers or skinny jeans.
Large Hips : Dark colours, straight leg trousers.
Large thighs : Boot leg or straight leg jeans, dark colours.
Long Legs : Skinny jeans, Skater skirts, maxi dresses.
Short Legs : Dark colours, High waist skirts/trousers.

Personally with my body shape I prefer a higher neckline to hide my small chest, I nearly ALWAYS wear a belt to show off my waist and I love skater skirts. I feel my body shape looks better in skirts and it is very very rare you will see me in trousers. I also love my Chelsea boots with a small heel as I feel these make my legs look longer and slimmer.


Wear necklaces to attract attention to your chest if this is your best asset, If you would prefer less attention there then wear chunky bracelets or a nice handbag to divert attention away.
Keep bright colours and patterns away from any part of you body you don't want attention, stick to block dark colours.


Like I said at the start, don't take it all too seriously.
Enjoy your body, explore new patterns and styles.

Thank you for reading, I will leave a few images below of how some celebrities have chosen to dress for their bodies, let me know if you think they are rocking it or not!

Byeeeeeeee.

Come over and find me.

Twitter : @bexrenshaw
Instagram : oh_boo_x


 

No comments:

Post a Comment